Site History - All Hallows the Great
United with All Hallows the Less
|| EXIT | Of Burials | References ||
The church of All Hallows the Great, on the Thames Street site, can be traced back many centuries and it is fitting that a study of the immediate area be included in pages about Mondial House.
By the middle of the nineteenth century churchyards in London were full to capacity. In 1845, concerned groups formed the National Society for the Abolition of Burial in Towns. By 1850, the Metropolitan Interment Act allowed parishes to buy land outside of London to set up new cemeteries for burials.
The Burial Act 1852/3 lead to the closure of many London churchyards.
By the twentieth century, as London continued expanding as an ever important trading centre, land in the 'square mile' was at a premium.
In the late 1960s, the old burial ground of the All Hallows churchyard had to be cleared of bodies, which were reburied elsewhere, and the site deconsecrated before the building of Mondial began.
The site needed to be in London, close to the cable networks and convenient for the operators and engineers who were to work there. As land is at a premium in the City, the building had to maximise floor space while retaining a stepped profile to meet the stringent planning permissions and not to obscure too much of St. Paul's Cathedral.
More detailed references about All Hallows can be found at:
'All Hallows the Great'- A Dictionary of London (1918). www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=1566
'All Hallows the Less' - A Dictionary of London (1918). www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=2503
|Design, images and text compiled by ©
Light-Straw. Page last updated 1st
All logos and trade marks are the property of their respective owners and are used on the Light Straw site(s) for review only. Students and researchers are recommended to make their own independent enquiries as to the accuracy of the information contained therein.