|Post Office Regional Training Centre - RTC Bletchley|
|| EXIT | Regional Training Centre | Map of The Park | The Courses | Bletchley TEC ||
|| Government Departments | Other Centres | Acknowledgements ||
At the end of World War II, the Post Office had many new recruits needing training before they could start on their duties. Local, non-residential training centres were the first solution, but it was decided that a centralised training centre would be the long term solution.
Thousands of Post Office staff, engineers, telephonists, clerical and postal grades spent some time, 'in the Park', during their career, so in this section we focus on just some of those memories. Training covered a wide range of disciplines over the years from 1948 right through to the more modern times of British Telecom and finally up to 1993 when BT moved out.
As the military (and code breaking civilians) moved out of the Park, then other government departments moved in. Thus by 1947, Bletchley Park already had a teacher training college and was running courses for GCHQ radio operators. The Post Office ceased to be a government department in October 1969.
Post Office Training
In the Home Counties Region, it was proposed to set up a residential Training School for all sections of Post Office Personnel. Bletchley, with its central location was ideally suited to the requirements of the Post Office, which at that time was still a government department. Thus in 1948, the local training centres began to transfer to the Park.
Several names were used for this location, viz: 'Bletchley HCR (Home Counties Regional) Training Centre', 'Bletchley RTC (Regional Training Centre' and 'Bletchley Postal Training Centre'.
[In 1965 Home Counties split into Eastern and South Eastern Regions.]
Post Office Telecoms training expanded with the building of Faulkner House in 1968 and the two hostels, Clare House and Villiers House in 1971.
The P.O. Stores (see map above) was the local TEC until about 1970 when it relocated to Tavistock Street.
In the field of poles photo at the top of this page there are no ladders visible and this bears out the statement 'the poles were only 8ft high'. But do engineers practice pole climbing nowadays?
A wartime outstation of Bletchley was just four miles away at Drayton Parslow. In January 1966 a residential school for 120 students was opened and GPO external jointing courses were held there. By the late 1980s the site had been redeveloped.
A residential Central Training School was established in Stone, Staffordshire, for specialised aspects of engineering training.
The History of Bletchley Park and Mansion (April 1965) D.C. Low
Post Office Vehicle Club
Bletchley Park Area Masterplan & Supplementary Planning Guide
|Design, images and text compiled by ©
Light-Straw. Page last updated 8th May
All logos and trade marks are the property of their respective owners and are used on the Light Straw site(s) for review only. Students and researchers are recommended to make their own independent enquiries as to the accuracy of the information contained therein.